Details

Address: Fore Sreet, Carharrack

Lat: N 50° 13' 47.09"
Long:W 5° 10' 54.06"

OS Grid Ref: SW 73165 41466

Distance: 1.82 miles

Terrain: Challenging

Carharrack

Carharrack as a village didn't materialise until after 1800 so in terms of existence it is a mere youngster. In the 1700s there were only 12 cottages making up the hamlet of Carharrack Gate. A similar number are shown on the Geological Map of 1819 and all the present roads existed at this time.

Due to the expansion of local mining the village developed from the 1820s through to the 1840s. Consolidated Mines employed over 3,000 people and local accommodation become highly sought after. Practically all the terraced housing in the village dates from this time.

The latter half of the 19th century saw the addition of semi-detached and detached properties built for the more affluent employees - assayers, merchants and mine captains.

No one is sure where the name came from but three possibilities are likely:

"Car" refers to a building of a friendly nature possibly relating to a property for community meeting.

“Caer” or “Car” can also mean camp/enclosure/fort in Cornish and "harrack" a corruption of a personal name Harthoc: thus together meaning Harthoc's fort/camp.

The third possible derivation comes from the two Cornish words "Car/Caer" and "Harrack". The former camp/enclosure and the latter a rock. Thus "settlement near the rock/carn".