The parish takes its name from a Celtic Saint who built a church at or near the site of the current parish church about 1400 years ago. A poll tax levied in 1377 by Edward III on all people over 14 showed that there was a population of only 195. Over the next 50 years this was to change dramatically.
Because of the Industrial Revolution the copper ore that was beneath the ground became in great demand. A surge in population, the massive building projects of mines, railways and housing led to a great change in the local area. The Gwennap Mines produced over 1 million tonnes of copper concentrate in their heyday, 1815 - 1857.
The peak of the population came about in 1841 when a census revealed 10,794 people now living in the area. Following that, the late 19th century collapse of the mining boom led to what was probably the biggest mass exodus of people from Britain.
The legacy of local mining provides us with over 40 miles of Public Rights of Way to enjoy. Once the tramway rails were removed the wide flat trails became ideal for horse riding, cycling and walking.