St Day - Trail 1 - Churches & Chapels Trail
This trail takes you on a journey through the historic villages of St Day and Carharrack, highlighting the sites that tell the religious history of the area, from medieval pilgrimage, through a competitive early 19th century building boom in churches and chapels, to modern day spiritual centres that sit peacefully with the past.
St Piran’s Church built in the early 1880s as a mission church to serve the large mining population, St Piran’s Church features an unusual small wooden spire.
Gwennap Pit is a semi-natural open-air amphitheatre, known as the ‘Cathedral of Methodism’ in which huge congregations gathered to hear John Wesley preach between 1762 and 1789. For more information see: www.gwennappit.co.uk
Likened by the Poet-Laureate, Sir John Betjeman, to “an ecclesiastical toy fort”, the Church of Holy Trinity, now known as St Day Old Church, was built in 1826-28 to accommodate a congregation of 1500 in the booming mining town. In 1956 a controversial decision was made to close the church due to structural concerns and the roof of the abandoned building was removed in 1985. Today, following stabilisation works, the church is used as a community venue and is open to the public during the summer months thanks to the tireless efforts of local volunteers. The history of St Day and the surrounding area is told on display panels inside.